Pre Loader

Abaut 3 km outside Marta on the Martana road and on the left bank of the Marta river lie the ruins of the ancient Tempalr stronghold of Castell’Araldo. Recent renovations has managed to shore up the walls and the very simple chapel. In 1255 this stronghold was one of the most important in Italy, thanks to its strategic position. After the Templar Order was suppressed in 1314 tha castle changed ownership a number of times, ending up belonging to the Knights of Malta, who bestowed it on the town of Marta in 1889.